Thursday 30 July 2009

The search for installers continues




Well today has proved interesting. I thought I'd go back to basics and do as recommended by the government and check out the Energy Savings Trust information. On their website I put in the postcode for the area on Skye I'm trying to find insulation for to see what grants might be available.

That was easy it came up with British Gas. I phoned their number, as on the website, and got through to Scottish Gas Wall and Loft Insulation. Good, I'm on the right track, press the correct number, listen to the dreadful music then speak to a human being. Then the fun begins.

"The Isle of Skye? Do you know if that is part of the British Isles? I'll just go and check."
My affirmation that it was part of the British Isles is ignored - back to that music. Clearly I am no longer speaking to someone from Scottish Gas as surely they would know that...

"Yes madam, it is part of the British Isles and we can help. We have a special offer on - prices have just been reduced from £250 to £199 for a typical 3 bedded semi detached property!"

Excellent I think - that is just what I'm looking for.

"We just have to fill in a form"

Piece of cake I think. As I suspect, a survey will have to be done first so I enquire as to where someone will come from to do the work. My British Gas man thinks it will be someone from Glasgow and asks innocently how far away that is. He sounds a little stunned when I inform him that this is a round trip of 400 miles and ventures that maybe there is someone closer than that.

"What was your postcode?" he enquires with a change in tone " I'll need to check this out."

More music...........

That was enough to halt proceedings.

"Oh, we don't cover there at all. You could try the Mark Group based in Glasgow."

I have already spoken to them. They, like pretty well everyone else on the list of accredited installers are part of a big chain. In this case I was told to phone their head office in Leicester to get information about a quote to Skye ( which of course would require a visit).

Meantime I had found an installer who would quote without a survey - at last a little common sense. This company, based in Stirling gave me a quote for between £650 and £750 depending on the type of insulation material used for a 3 bedded semi-detached property. How is that for an incentive to line your loft!! I wonder what the payback period would be for this easy measure.

When I enquired as to why the cost is so high, I got the answer I expected. It is primarily because of the cost and length of time required to travel from Stirling to Skye and back again. Imagine if there were local people who could do this using locally available materials...........it takes 1-2 hours to line your average loft.

On the plus side - if a community organsied a campaign for insulating lofts - it is likely they would be able, with assistance from Energy Savings Trust Scotland to get a much better deal i.e. in the region of £200 and free to some householders. Check out who can advise locally tel 0800 512 012.
Galson Trust and North Harris Trust will likely benefit from the announcement by the Government that they will insulate some homes in specific areas including Lewis and Harris but that is about as far as it goes for most of the Highlands and Islands. Isaly have successfully been down the road of getting insulation - though not with out difficulty so I'm away to find out about their experiences. The search continues....

No comments:

Post a Comment