Tuesday 8 December 2009

Virgin Oil from North Harris


Thanks to David Wake, Energy Development Officer from North Harris Trust for this guest blog.

I feel like a proud father after the birth of his first child. Today I have my first batch of Biodiesel –and it looks good enough to drink!
Way back in July, the North Harris Trust started collecting waste vegetable oil. We opened up a Community Recycling Site in the summer and thought this would be a good project for the two part-time staff, during the long winter months when the site has fewer visitors. The first purchase was a 1000 litre IBC container (after we’d exhausted all our fish farm contacts) to build up a stock of oil. This has always been the greatest uncertainty for me. Harris only has a handful of hotels and bars that use cooking oil, so stocks are limited. Most proprietors are just glad to see the back of the oil. The official route for disposal is an 80 mile round trip to the Municipal Waste site –and a fee for disposal. So when the Trust offered to take the oil, they were very happy to oblige. The only catch though, is that there are a few enlightened individuals who are also making Biodiesel for their own consumption. The proprietors say “first come first served” so there are no guarantees on the source of raw material for our little process.

After a brief conversation with Community Energy Scotland, I made contact with a handful of other trail-blazing communities. I spoke to people already making their own road fuel in Uist, Lanark, Orkney and Eigg to find out how difficult it was. If you look on YouTube on the web, then there are guys in America mixing up chemicals in their back yard, with home-made equipment. After many questions, I finally made contact with Green Fuels who make the Fuelpod range of covertors. Their product is self contained and looked to me to be one of the safest. They also supply all the bits and pieces that you need to go with the machine, from chemicals to test equipment. I actually ordered my Fuelpod2 through a community development trust in Lanarkshire. They are fuelling a fleet of community mini-buses from their machine. They gave me the re-assurance I needed to start making fuel and were very patient with me. As an agent for Green Fuels, they also put money back into their community from my purchase.

Prior to ordering, I did try to seek funding for the project. Be aware that some of the larger climate change funds don’t want to see any benefits to local business. They need carbon savings for the man on the street. That one was difficult for me to justify. I was lucky enough to convince my Directors that I could achieve a 2 year payback on their investment and so self-funded the equipment.

After 4 months, and the end of the summer tourist season, we have amassed a stock of just under 1000l of sieved oil. This will make enough Biodiesel for a year’s worth of Trust motoring. With oil in hand, I set about making my first fuel. The process is quite simple. It involves mixing the waste vegetable oil with methanol and a liquid catalyst. All this is done in sealed containers. After an hour of reaction, and an overnight settling, hey presto, you have biodiesel. It’s quite amazing how the biodiesel separates from a thick treacle-like Glycerine. All you have to do then is pour off the glycerine and filter the biodiesel to take out any impurities. By the end of day 2, we had 50 litres of what almost looks like a good malt whisky.

The Trust runs a diesel Citroen Multispace. With some trepidation, I reversed it into the shed at the Recycling Centre to fill up for the first time. The Fuelpod has its own fuel pump –just like at a petrol station. With a full tank, I headed back to the office. I knew one of my colleagues was going out in the afternoon and needed the vehicle. A great dilemma gripped me. Do I tell, or do I keep quiet and wait to see if there are any problems? The biggest issue with biodiesel is that everyone says it works and that there are no problems running it in standard diesel cars and vans. There are no guarantees though. The manufacturers of the machines will say that it’s difficult to maintain a standard of quality when you make such small batches. Speaking to all those other community groups that are making it – they’ll all say “We run it in all sorts of cars, with no problem” but there’s still no guarantees. My plan is to blend it with standard “fossil” diesel initially and reduce the mix as time goes by.

It’s a simple process – and if you can secure yourself a stock of waste oil you can be saving up to eighty pence a litre whilst significantly reducing your carbon footprint. So why isn’t everyone doing it?
http://greenfuels.co.uk/product/fuelpod-2.aspx
http://www.ruraldevelopmenttrust.co.uk/

No comments:

Post a Comment